How to Control the Waste Odour at Your Business or Commercial Facility
How to Control the Waste Odour at Your Business
Whether it’s bothering you or you’ve received formal odour complaints, nobody likes the smell of garbage. Unfortunately, depending on the type of waste, and the management of the waste, the odour can make work unbearable.
Importance of Managing Commercial Waste Odour
If your dumpsters, compactors, balers, loading docks, drip pads and other frequently-used areas have picked up the garbage odour, it’s time for a change! Your employees and the surrounding homes and businesses will thank you.
- Comply with Waste Management Policies in Australia: If you find yourself searching for how to get rid of the rubbishy smell, it’s likely you’re not the only one who has noticed it. Waste odour presents a public health and safety concern.
- Create an Enjoyable Workplace: While commercial waste bins aren’t known for smelling wonderful, taking steps to control the odour will make your employees happier and more productive.
- Maintain a Quality Reputation: You don’t want your facility to be known for smelling like rubbish. It may result in poor reviews and project an image that your facility does not have quality processes in place.
How to Get Rid of the Waste Smell for Good
Having the right waste and recycling equipment is essential for proper handling of waste and reducing the garbage smell. Proper equipment can help you sort waste and different kinds of recyclable materials. This ensures that your facility can handle garbage, wet waste, compost and recyclables effectively and reduce odour cross-contamination.
For many businesses, upgrading their waste equipment and hauling schedule is all it takes to reduce garbage odours and create a more efficient workflow. To learn more about custom equipment for your waste and recycling needs, explore Wastech Engineering’s equipment online.
While innovative designs, top-of-the-line equipment and proper scheduling can help stop odours at the source, there are a few other proven ways to eliminate them entirely. Here’s a list of odour eliminator tips and tricks for your facility.
1. Use Diffusers and Air Fresheners
Scent diffusers and air fresheners are the tried-and-true first defence against dumpster odours. Place these fresheners around the facility where the odours are incredibly strong. Keep in mind, these won’t eliminate the odour at the source, but they will make the air smell fresher.
2. Use Odour Control Substances to Kill the Smells
While diffusers and air fresheners work to make the air smell better, you can use odour control substances to start breaking down the cause of the smells. You can try:
- Baking Soda is a pH neutraliser that gets rid of bad-smelling acids.
- Cat Litter usually contains baking soda and other materials that neutralise acids and absorb liquids.
3. Use Commercial Bin Odour Eliminator Granules and Sprays
If natural remedies won’t do the trick, you can purchase specially formulated commercial dumpster odour eliminators like granules and sprays. Like baking soda and cat litter, odour granules neutralise acidity and absorb the products responsible for bad smells. Bio Enzymatic sprays take things a step further and contain good bacteria that produce enzymes to break down waste.
4. Establish a Regular Waste Management Transport and Cleaning Routine
It may seem redundant to say that waste storage areas need to be clean, but cleaning is one of the best ways to prevent odours from accumulating. Don’t let waste sit in one area for too long. Set aside time to sanitise your bins, machines and use odour-eliminating sprays in the cracks and crevices.
Design a Better Way to Handle Odours
If your company wants to learn more about waste management policies in Australia and how proper facility design and equipment can eliminate odours, the experts at Wastech Engineering can help. Enquire about equipment and facility design by calling us on 1800 465 465 or find more information online.